q LST 58 - Exercise Tiger
Skip to main content
USS

LST58

LST-58 was constructed on 31 October 1943 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by the Dravo Corporation. It was launched on 11 December 1943 and sponsored by Mrs. L. H. Crawford. The ship was commissioned on 22 January 1944.

USS LST-58 was sent to the European theatre during World War II and took part in the Normandy invasion from June 6th to June 25th, 1944. The ship was taken out of service on 7 November 1945 and officially removed from the Navy’s records on 28 November 1945. She was purchased by the Northern Metals Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on November 30, 1947, and later dismantled for scrap.

USS LST-58 was awarded a single battle star in recognition of its service during World War II.

Specifications:
  • Displacement:
    1,625 t.(lt)
    4,080 t.(fl) (sea-going draft w/1675 ton load)
    2,366 t. (beaching displacement)
  • Length: 328′ o.a.
  • Beam: 50′
  • Draft:
    light: 2′ 4″ fwd, 7′ 6″ aft
    sea-going: 8′ 3″ fwd, 14′ 1″ aft
    landing: 3′ 11″ fwd, 9′ 10″ aft (landing w/500 ton load)
    limitin:g 11′ 2″
    maximum navigation: 14′ 1″
  • Speed: 11.6 kts. (trial)
  • Endurance: 24,000 miles @ 9kts. while displacing 3960 tons
  • Complement:
    13 officers
    104 enlisted
  • Troop Accommodations:
    16 officers
    147 enlisted
  • Boats: 6 LCVP
  • Cargo Capacity: (varied with mission – payloads between 1600 and 1900 tons)
    Typical loads:
    1. One Landing Craft Tank (LCT), tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment and military supplies. A ramp or elevator forward allowed vehicles access to tank deck from main deck
    2. Additional capacity included sectional pontoons carried on each side of vessel amidships, to either build Rhino Barges or use as causeways. Married to the bow ramp, the causeways would enabled payloads to be delivered ashore from deeper water or where a beachhead would not allow the vessel to be grounded forward after ballasting
  • Armament: varied with availability when each vessel was outfitted. Retro-fitting was accomplished throughout WWII. The ultimate armament design for United States vessels was:
    2 x Twin 40MM gun mounts w/Mk. 51 directors
    4 x Single 40MM gun mounts
    12 x single 20MM gun mounts
  • Fuel Capacity: Diesel 4,300 Bbls
  • Propulsion:
    two General Motors 12-567A, 900hp Diesel engines
    single Falk Main Reduction Gears
    three Diesel-drive 100Kw 230V D.C. Ship’s Service Generators
    two propellers, 1,700shp
    twin rudders
History
LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship:
  • Laid Down: 31st October 1943, at Dravo Corp., Neville Island, PA.
  • Launched: 11th December 1943.
  • Commissioned: USS LST-58, 22 January 1944, LT. John E. Wachter, USNR, in command.
  • During World War II: USS LST-58 was assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater and participated in the Invasion of Normandy, from 6th to 25th June 1944.
  • Action:
  • Decommissioned: 7th November 1945.
  • Final Disposition: Sold for scrapping, 30th November 1947, to Northern Metals Co., Philadelphia, PA.
  • Commendations: USS LST-58 earned one battle star for World War II service.
Commanding Officer(s)
  • LT. Wachter, John E., USNR
    22 January 1944 – 1945
  • LT. Freeman, Eugene Flavius, USNR
    1945 – 7 November 1945