LST-491 Class Tank Landing Ship:
- Laid down, 22 July 1943, at Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, IL.
- Launched, 30 November 1943
- Commissioned USS LST-511, 3 January 1944, LT. John Yacevich in command
- During World War II USS LST-511 was assigned to the European Theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy, 6 June, 1944
- Decommissioned, 19 December 1945
- Struck from the Naval Register, 8 January, 1946
- Sold in 1947 to the St. Charles Transportation Co., Ltd. of Quebec, Province of Quebec, Canada and named MV Guy Bartholomew
- Sold in 1948 to Corporation Maritime Rive-Nord, Ltd. of Quebec
- Sold in 1969 to Agence Maritime, Inc. of Quebec and renamed MV Fort Kent
- Sold in 1979 to Logisec Navigation, Inc. of Quebec
- Final Disposition, fate unknown
- USS LST-511 earned one battle star for World War II service
Specifications: (as reported by Office of Naval Intelligence-1945) Displacement 1,625 t.(lt), 4,080 t.(fl) (sea-going draft w/1675 ton load); Length 328′ o.a.; Beam 50′; Draft: (light) – 2′ 4″ fwd, 7′ 6″ aft, (sea-going) 8′ 3″ fwd, 14′ 1″ aft, (landing) 3′ 11″ fwd, 9′ 10″ aft (landing w/500 ton load); Speed 12 kts. (maximum); Endurance 24,000 miles @ 9kts. while displacing 3960 tons; Complement; nine officers, one hundred and twenty enlisted; Troop Accommodations: fourteen officers, one hundred and thirty one enlisted; Boats: four LCVP; Cargo Capacity (varied with mission – payloads between 1600 and 1900 tons) Typical loads: One Landing Craft Tank (LCT), tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment and military supplies. A ramp or elevator forward allowed vehicles access to tank deck from main deck. Additional capacity included sectional pontoons carried on each side of vessel amidships, to either build Rhino Barges or use as causeways. Married to the bow ramp, the causeways would enabled payloads to be delivered ashore from deeper water or where a beachhead would not allow the vessel to be grounded forward after ballasting
Armament (varied with availability when each vessel was outfitted. Retro-fitting was accomplished throughout WWII; The ultimate armament design for United States vessels was: two twin 40mm gun mounts w/Mk.51 directors; four single 40mm gun mounts and twelve single 20mm gun mounts.
Lend Lease built vessels were to be outfitted with armament after convoying across Atlantic and included one Twelve-Pounder anti-aircraft multi-barrel mount, six 20mm mounts and four Fast Aerial Mine (FAM) mounts.
Propulsion: two General Motors 12-567, 900hp diesel engines, two shafts, twin rudders.
Data courtesy of NavSource Naval History.