LST-1 Class Tank Landing Ship:
- Laid down, 14 September 1943, at the American Bridge Co., Ambridge, MA.
- Launched, 21 November 1943
- Commissioned USS LST 289, 31 December 1943, LT. Harry A. Mettler, USNR, in command
- During World War II USS LST-289 was assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theatre
- Severely damaged by a German E-Boat torpedo attack off Slapton Sands, England, 28 April 1944, during Operation Tiger, the rehearsal for the Normandy invasion
- Decommissioned and transferred to the United Kingdom, 30 November 1944 Royal Navy History
- Commissioned into the Royal Navy as HM LST-289, 30 November 1944
- De-equipped and mudberthed at Sandacre Bay, 30 July 1946 Paid off and returned to US Navy custody, 12 October 1946
- Struck from the Naval Register, 15 October 1946
- Final Disposition, sold, 30 January 1947 to the Netherlands as MV Fendracht
Specifications: (as reported by Office of Naval Intelligence-1945) Displacement 1,625 t.(lt), 4,080 t.(fl) (sea-going draft w/1675 ton load); Length 328′ o.a.; Beam 50′; Draft (light) – 2′ 4″ fwd, 7′ 6″ aft, (sea-going) 8′ 3″ fwd, 14′ 1″ aft, (landing) 3′ 11″ fwd, 9′ 10″ aft (landing w/500 ton load); Speed 12 kts. (maximum); Endurance 24,000 miles @ 9kts. while displacing 3960 tons; Complement 7 officers, 104 enlisted Troop Accommodations, 16 officers, 147 enlisted; Boats two LCVP; Cargo Capacity varied with mission – payloads between 1600 and 1900 tons) Typical loads One Landing Craft Tank (LCT), tanks, wheeled and tracked vehicles, artillery, construction equipment and military supplies. A ramp or elevator forward allowed vehicles access to tank deck from main deck Additional capacity included sectional pontoons carried on each side of vessel amidships, to either build Rhino Barges or use as causeways. Married to the bow ramp, the causeways would enabled payloads to be delivered ashore from deeper water or where a beachhead would not allow the vessel to be grounded forward after ballasting; Armament (varied with availability when each vessel was outfitted. Retro-fitting was accomplished throughout WWII. The ultimate armament design for United States vessels was: two Twin 40mm, gun mounts w/Mk.51 directors, four Single 40mm gun mounts, and twelve single 20mm gun mounts.
Data courtesy of NavSource Naval History.